There's nothing quite like the smell of freshly baked bread, and making it at home can be a rewarding experience. Here's what you'll need to get started:
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, and yeast until well combined.
- Add the warm water to the dry ingredients and mix until a shaggy dough forms.
- Cover the bowl with a clean kitchen towel and let the dough rise for 12-18 hours, or until it has doubled in size.
- Preheat your oven to 450°F (232°C). Place a Dutch oven or other heavy pot with a lid in the oven to preheat for 30 minutes.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and shape it into a ball. Place the ball of dough into the preheated pot and cover with the lid.
- Bake for 30 minutes, then remove the lid and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes, or until the bread is golden brown and sounds hollow when tapped.
- Remove the bread from the pot and let it cool on a wire rack before slicing and serving.
- Use a kitchen scale to measure your ingredients for more accuracy.
- If you don't have a Dutch oven or heavy pot with a lid, you can use a baking sheet and cover the bread with aluminum foil instead.
- Experiment with adding different herbs or spices to your bread dough for extra flavor.
Now that you know how to make homemade bread, you can enjoy the taste of freshly baked bread anytime you want.